By Cochise Lucas (Whetstone Staff Writer)

The Latin Heritage Event Sept. 20 hosted a full house, with more than 30 people in attendance.

The event included Latin dancing and music. Latin food was presented to students, including rice, tacos, burritos and fajitas.

Whetstone/Melissa Boyd Erika Tanase and Nashi Watson experience common Latin American food, such as tacos and fajitas.

Whetstone/Melissa Boyd
Erika Tanase and Nashi Watson experience common Latin American food, such as tacos and fajitas.

English professor Linda De Roche attended the event.

“I decided to come and see,” De Roche said. “I wanted to explore the Latino experience and dance.”

De Roche teaches a course called “Immigrant Experience,” where during the first week of October they will be discussing Latino emigration. She encouraged her students to come to the event before they learned about the Latino emigration.

“I did see some of my students here,” De Roche said.

Jennifer Grillo, a sophomore, said she loved the food.

“It was a lot better than the cafeteria’s food,” Grillo said. “The tacos, especially the bean tacos, were my favorite.”

The event was sponsored by Black Student Union (BSU), and was used as a recruitment event for Alpha Phi Omega (APO).

“I came because of APO, but I think we need more events like this on campus,” Grillo said.

Zumba instructor Casie Lucas taught an additional Zumba course at the event, to more than 20 students enjoying the Latin music and dancing.

“I did dance a tad bit,” said Michael Streeter, BSU treasurer. “It was challenging, but I had a good time.”

Whetstone/Melissa Boyd DJ Carl Obeng, senior

Whetstone/Melissa Boyd
DJ Carl Obeng, senior

D.J. Carl Obeng played the music.

“The music gets people on their feet,” Streeter said. “I would consider having it on my iPod.”

Streeter said he tried some of the food. Tamales were his favorite.

“The Latin heritage event was fun and culturally new,” he said.

Streeter said he hoped others will join BSU events like this in the future.

“I would encourage anyone who didn’t get the pleasure to go this year, to catch it next year and please be on the lookout for the next BSU event coming soon,” he said.